Home Made Fish and Chips
- 1FilletWhite Fish
- 2PotatoesPeeled and sliced ito chips
- Oil for frying
- Fresh White Bread crumbs
- 1eggbeaten and seasoned
- Place the potatoes in salted boiling water and simmer until just soft, drain and dry, I put the pan back on a low heat to thoroughly remove moisture, take care not to burn. Place the fillet in the beaten egg and thoroughly coat. Cover well with bread crumbs. Heat oil on high and put in chips, turn them over until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and lightly salt. Place the fish in the hot oil turn heat down to medium. Cook for 2 minutes on both sides. Drain on to kitchen paper. serve with peas and tartare sauce.
New Potato, bacon and egg salad
Quick and easy as a starter or snack
Servings: 4small servings
- 1lbNew potatoes washed and boiled til soft
- 4ozFrench beans washed, topped and tailed and steamed
- 1bunchSpring onions cleaned and sliced
- 8ozStreaky Bacon, chopped and fried until crisp
- 3 Medium boiled eggs,shelled (you can use quail eggs, I would suggest 6) quartered
- 4fluid ozolive oil
- 3tblsRed Wine vinegar
- 1tspDijon mustard
- 1tspCaster sugar or runny honey
- Mix the oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar together. pour half over potatoes while still warm. On individual plates arrange all the ingredients, pour the remaining dressing into jugs and serve.
Salmon with garlic and honey
- 1Salmon Fillet skin on bones removed
- 1Clove garlic finely chopped
- 1tspSoy Sauce
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Season salmon with salt and pepper and Paprika. Set aside. Heat butter in a skillet on medium heat and saute garlic (do not let it burn) pour in honey and water and soy sauce, heat through stirring gently for about a minute so they are well combined. Add the lemon juice and stir.Add the Salmon to the sauce skin side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes basting continually until cooked through and shiny.(Optional) Place under a hot grill to finish.Serve with new potatoes and peas or a side salad.
Baked Potato and Cabbage
Baked Potato topped with bacon, cabbage and onion
- 1Baking Potato
- Handfulchopped cabbage or Spring greens
- 1Rasher of back bacon
- 1tbspolive oil
- 1tbspof dried crispy onions or chopped fresh onion
- Scrub potato rub with salt and oil and bake in 180 degree preheated oven for one hour or one and a half hours if very large. Roughly chop cabbage and boil in salted water until cooked but still crisp, drain. Chop bacon and lightly fry in olive oil, add crispy onions (or add lightly fried fresh onion) add drained cabbage, toss together over low heat with knob of butter and season to taste. Cut potato in half add seasoning and small amount of butter to each half and top with cabbage mixture.
Delicious as a supper or snack dish for one, double ingredients for two portions.
Delicious Breakfast Pancakes
- Skillet/frying pan or griddle
- 1CupFlour (I use White Spelt)
- 1 300ml potButtermilk
- 1/2tspBaking Powder
- 1tspCaster Sugar
- Whisk all the ingredients thoroughly. Rest for a few minutes then whisk again. Drop spoonfuls of mixture into a hot pan after cooking some crispy bacon using the bacon fat to cook. Cook for about 2 minutes then flip over. I then turn off the heat and leave for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with crispy bacon a dab of butter and a drizzle of syrup.Mixture will keep in a sealed container for 2 days in the fridge.