Home Made Fish and Chips
- 1 Fillet White Fish
- 2 Potatoes Peeled and sliced ito chips
- Oil for frying
- Fresh White Bread crumbs
- 1 egg beaten and seasoned
- Place the potatoes in salted boiling water and simmer until just soft, drain and dry, I put the pan back on a low heat to thoroughly remove moisture, take care not to burn. Place the fillet in the beaten egg and thoroughly coat. Cover well with bread crumbs. Heat oil on high and put in chips, turn them over until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and lightly salt. Place the fish in the hot oil turn heat down to medium. Cook for 2 minutes on both sides. Drain on to kitchen paper. serve with peas and tartare sauce.
New Potato, bacon and egg salad
Quick and easy as a starter or snack
Servings: 4 small servings
- 1 lb New potatoes washed and boiled til soft
- 4 oz French beans washed, topped and tailed and steamed
- 1 bunch Spring onions cleaned and sliced
- 8 oz Streaky Bacon, chopped and fried until crisp
- 3 Medium boiled eggs,shelled (you can use quail eggs, I would suggest 6) quartered
- 4 fluid oz olive oil
- 3 tbls Red Wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Caster sugar or runny honey
- Mix the oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar together. pour half over potatoes while still warm. On individual plates arrange all the ingredients, pour the remaining dressing into jugs and serve.
Salmon with garlic and honey
Servings: 1 person
- 1 Salmon Fillet skin on bones removed
- Pinch Paprika
- knob Butter
- 1 Clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Season salmon with salt and pepper and Paprika. Set aside. Heat butter in a skillet on medium heat and saute garlic (do not let it burn) pour in honey and water and soy sauce, heat through stirring gently for about a minute so they are well combined. Add the lemon juice and stir.Add the Salmon to the sauce skin side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes basting continually until cooked through and shiny.(Optional) Place under a hot grill to finish.Serve with new potatoes and peas or a side salad.
Baked Potato and Cabbage
Baked Potato topped with bacon, cabbage and onion
- 1 Baking Potato
- Handful chopped cabbage or Spring greens
- 1 Rasher of back bacon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp of dried crispy onions or chopped fresh onion
- 1 Knob Butter
- Scrub potato rub with salt and oil and bake in 180 degree preheated oven for one hour or one and a half hours if very large. Roughly chop cabbage and boil in salted water until cooked but still crisp, drain. Chop bacon and lightly fry in olive oil, add crispy onions (or add lightly fried fresh onion) add drained cabbage, toss together over low heat with knob of butter and season to taste. Cut potato in half add seasoning and small amount of butter to each half and top with cabbage mixture.
Delicious as a supper or snack dish for one, double ingredients for two portions.
Delicious Breakfast Pancakes
- Skillet/frying pan or griddle
- 1 Cup Flour (I use White Spelt)
- 1 Medium Egg
- 1 300ml pot Buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Caster Sugar
- Whisk all the ingredients thoroughly. Rest for a few minutes then whisk again. Drop spoonfuls of mixture into a hot pan after cooking some crispy bacon using the bacon fat to cook. Cook for about 2 minutes then flip over. I then turn off the heat and leave for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with crispy bacon a dab of butter and a drizzle of syrup.Mixture will keep in a sealed container for 2 days in the fridge.